My opinion, not enough reps in the base offense

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

My opinion, not enough reps in the base offense

Post by dcwarrior »

FWIW, UH's offense not executing has to do with less reps for the base RNS in practice and games.

Let's look at the changes since last year:

1. Offense philosophy. Mack asked Ron Lee to put more running in, and to do more under center. I see the theory that under center might be OK but with the inexperience all over the skill positions, this means less time trying to learn, much less perfect, the base offense. There is a reason why JJ was stubborn and until the last 2 years had very few plays outside his base pass plays. That means, practice can concentrate on the basic RNS reads. We are three games in, and still the receivers and QBs are not in synch.

2. Playcalling. More of the same. Too many counters, not enough of the base offense. That means, the QB and receivers aren't getting as much work on the base offense as they could be and so are not learning it as well as they should, 3 games in.

3. Injuries/Practice Intensity/Missing players. The QB spot was Graunke's to win and he let his academics slip, twice. It was Funaki's to win and he didn't, whether because he wasn't good enough or because he doesn't go 100% during practice. Then Rausch wins the spot but gets dead arm, leaving Alexander as #1. The failure to step up meant that no one QB went through spring training, summer camp and pre-game practices as the #1, the reps were spread among all 4 of the QBs, not concentrated in a single person. Again, familiarity, timing and synch are out the door. Add to that the injuries to the RBs and OL and it's no wonder this offense is struggling. And now Graunke is down again.

4. Substitution Philosophy. Coach Mack wanted more substitution of receivers. This is a generally sound idea, although in this particular year, it's helped to increase the synch problems. Maybe abandon it for the next few games and get at least one unit that is in synch.

5. Lack of Experience. I think this speaks for itself.

Now, not all of these are the fault of the coaches, but some of them are. Coach Lee has got to find a way to reduce the playbook and get his unit in synch or we will have an embarrassing loss to San Jose coming up - they want this one, bad. Does UH?
Substance matters.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Re: My opinion, not enough reps in the base offense

Post by xer 21 »

i totally agree.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

goBows15
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by goBows15 »

Pretty good analysis. Question is, can they fix it? Cause da buggah stay broke!!!!!
"I saw the fullback, he's looking directly at me," Soares said. "I knew he was coming my way, so I already knew. I went with all my power and all my might and I went crush him. I heard him when I hit him, I heard him -- he felt it."

giversgain
Starter
Starter

Post by giversgain »

DC, what's your best estimate of the UH fan turnout in Corvalis? Just wondering.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Makes allot of sense and goes back to what JJ always preached. Practice until you know it in your sleep. It seems we are rebuilding since we are learning new plays with new personnel. Otherwise we would have played a better game against OSU. We looked better against Florida.

JJ is playing for the future of SMU. He has a QB that is knew to his system yet no matter how bad he may perform he is sticking with him so that by his second year he will know it by heart and so will the WR's and RB's. They will outscore everyone. We on the other hand will be learning every year with different QB's and WR's trying to learn it. It can't be done that way. Start using our future QB and WR's so we can be halfway descent next year.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Don't forget all the injuries that came at the worst time.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

wayoutwest
Play Maker
Play Maker
MLB: Orioles

Post by wayoutwest »

guiltypleasure wrote:DC, what's your best estimate of the UH fan turnout in Corvalis? Just wondering.
i was at the game. solid 3K i'd guess. good showing in the south endzone and upper corners of the east sideline.

most osu fans were surprised to see so many hawaii fans, said we traveled better than most pac10 teams.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Injuries will kill the best teams in the country even USC.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

HawaiianHogster wrote:Injuries will kill the best teams in the country even USC.
unfortunately, we have them where it counts, the o line and QB.

targets.

NW SportsFan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by NW SportsFan »

Dc, what was your impression of Reser, the OS fans, Corvallis, & the game atmosphere? When you got to Corvallis, did you not know that the entire community is Oregon State & that we support the team? Just wondered coming from a Warrior fan watching a Pac-10 game?
Were you treated OK? or did you get harassed. Did anyone Beaver ask you to "tailgate" with them?

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

NW SportsFan wrote:Dc, what was your impression of Reser, the OS fans, Corvallis, & the game atmosphere? When you got to Corvallis, did you not know that the entire community is Oregon State & that we support the team? Just wondered coming from a Warrior fan watching a Pac-10 game?
Were you treated OK? or did you get harassed. Did anyone Beaver ask you to "tailgate" with them?
so you are an OSU fan? i really just want to know who you are a fan of, honestly.

targets.

dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dcwarrior »

guiltypleasure wrote:DC, what's your best estimate of the UH fan turnout in Corvalis? Just wondering.
Heh, wasn't there. I was watching in a sportsbar in Arlington VA with Finlandia.
Substance matters.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I'm a fan of if it works don't change it.

You can transition and add things slowly but stay with what got you there and be very good at it (repetition).

Remember when it was being reported that Ron was going to add more options and routes per play. Make it more complex? Why?

JJ kept things simple.

More complexity also means more errors and more turnovers.

808havok
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808havok »

according to bobby curran, osu's two corners are nfl-ready-now (as in they could start in the nfl now) type of players. he said they are probably the best pair of cornerbacks in college football... all hyperbole aside, malcome lane didn't get any touches probably because he was completely shutdown and same goes for salas. when you wr are shutdown, the rest of the secondary can concentrate on the slots - hawaii's bread-n-butter. you also can't stretch the field if your wr are shutdown. those factors probably played a part in the numerous running plays called...

having said that, i agree, the offense probably needs to be simplified and just try to run the stinkin' basics perfectly. you can add a wrinkle every week but get the reps for the base plays.

Manoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Manoa »

I try not to second guess so soon, but you are right. A large part was a real over reaction to what happened at the Sugar Bowl with Georgia's rush.

Going under center took a huge amount of time, plus several running plays to go with it. We have stopped using a lot of the running plays and we are not going under center much at all. The problem is we cannot pass from under center because from what I have seen, the QB's have trouble dropping back while making their reads-- this is what Mouse found out last year, and what most coaches of spread teams have figured out, moving from under center to shotgun in college and the NFL. If we cannot pass from under center, we are not going to be able to run from under center and I think that is why we are abandoning it right now. But a lot of time was wasted on it and on some of the running plays.

Injuries have been a real problem and have broken any continuity-- I think without Tyler we may be screwed-- at this point guys are capable, but none are ready to takeover yet with the exception of Funaki, who cannot do everything Tyler can (hopefully enough to generate a decent offense). We need to get a QB and give him reps with a group of starting receivers and stick with the shotgun and the rare shift to under center. Run plays that we have had success with with the gun. But mainly practice and practice to get the timing down before we add anything new.