8/18 Practice

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Raudi
Starter
Starter

8/18 Practice

Post by Raudi »

I stopped by the practice fields today around 930 or so. Greg Alexander is back and practicing again. Looks like he and Funaki are sharing equal time as the back up. Overall Greg looked pretty sharp out there especially during the 2 min drill at the end of the practice were he led the O down the field with ease. Brent on the other hand had an up and down day. He made some great passes and some not so good one also. In particluar were the 2 picks he threw to J. Dowling, one of which was a pick 6 on an out to G. Salas. Looks like he still need to work on his decision making and timing with some of the recievers.

I am happy to report that it looks like the O-line is starting to click as they were able to give all the QBs better protection. They still had some breakdowns, but still an inprovment. On a down note though, L. Letuli looked like he tweaked his knee as he was out of pads for the later part of the practice. Hopefully it's just something minor.

Also back were D. Veikune, E. Percell and R. Mouton. Didn't see S. Elimimian anywhere. A. Leonard was running drills with the rest of the D, but was held out of contact drills.

Forgot to mention that B. Satele seems to be really picking up his play at the middle spot. Looks like he's getting really comfortable and is playing "fast". He looked really good on blitzes and broke up a few passes during drills and 11 on 11.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Re: 8/18 Practice

Post by letsgobows »

darn, letuli cant seem to stay injury-free.

thanks for the report.
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Thanks for the report.
Hope BR cuts down on the picks. Picks for 6 at Florida (by Florida) would spell disaster quickly.

I know our QBs will get the job done.
GoWARRIORS
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

Post by Kahaluu Imua Warriors »

I was there most of pratice and I'm a happy man. Yes the O still needs some work but over all it was a good practice for all. Raudi is right on all accounts. The Oline improved, one hugh reason was Letuli was starting right tackle with Estes center and Kia LT and Hisatake looked like he was on as LG and Bully RG. It was a little confusing because this was the "Hair Squad" with huge poundage and I saw their profiles and I was not looking for numbers just how well they played together and I was Happy. Even though these guys need more reps because a couple of these guys like Ray doesn't have much Oline experience but he has great potential and JJ spoted it (he was good at spotting Olinemen). He just needs lots of practice experience to learn from his mistakes (more reps). Looked like Keone was out on the sidelines with no pads and I didn't see AhSoon during the 11 on 11 drills but he was in on the 7 on 7 drill where they where moving guys all over the place. Thomas got some good PT then and showing improvement. Another guy with an upside. Gerkes seems to be working with him a lot and it starting to show.

Leon looked blazingly fast. I think it is more knee problems than being out of shape. He did bulk up on top which is helping his blocking but that extra top weight is pounding on his skinny knee joints (I know I have two bad knees-ACLs). I think he has been taking it painfully easy on the run drills but pain disappears when he has the ball and coaches know it. Good news/bad news: Blount was suited up and thrown into the mix but Jovonte was still on the side lines still waiting for his grades to tranfers (I heard a communication mix up). Don't we have a staff member devoted to this stuff? If not we need to assign someone. These guys are late but they can still contribute in the return units. Not much to learn - just catch the ball and run! Meanwhile they are learning the offense. Royce, Dylan, Pilares and Medeiros had some good catches as well as others (like we are saying the O is catching on-probably why they had no spirits at the end).

LOVE IT when coach MACK is not affraid to use 1st teamers on the ST units, in the past we used little forth and fifth stringers and it showed. Now I know we are taking this part of the game seriously. LOVE IT!

D play of the day are two interceptions by Dowling, one a quick jump on the ball (I didn't know he had that kind of speed) for a TD and another, soon after, when left alone man up on Salas he broke up a long pass and both players hit the ground. That alone deserved aahhs from the crowd but the ball still hadn't hit the ground YET and heads up Dowling grabed it while on his back for another INT. That got the crowd and teammates clapping.

Team spirit was there, a lot of hussle and I'm a happy man!
www.southseascinema.org

Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
The Ha'a is heard, louder and louder.
Okole is kicked.
Now the enemy runs home to cry to their mother.

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: ATL Braves
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

anyone know who the special teams starters are on kickoff coverage?

Macnut
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Macnut »

All those interceptions by BR doesn't sound good. I hope he and coaches can work on eliminating it.
No matter what, be happy you still got your health!

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Interceptions in practice is where you learn. Come game day is when you don't want them. Your right they are not good.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

lava
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by lava »

Coaches may rethink going the JC route in cases like Taylor's. He missed summer, now he's missing fall, he likely can't help much until after the bye week. Given that he came in with limited eligibility, I'm not sure we can afford many cases like that. And I'm sure he is as frustrated as anyone.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

Mahalo for sharing.

FlyinManatee
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by FlyinManatee »

Raudi, Kahaluu, Thanks for the updates! Good news with the O-line!!!

goBows15
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by goBows15 »

Great reports guys! Thanks for the info.

Anybody agree with the Bowstock report that there may be a QB controversy? How many days like today where Rausch struggles and Alexander dominates would it take for GA to be the starter?
"I saw the fullback, he's looking directly at me," Soares said. "I knew he was coming my way, so I already knew. I went with all my power and all my might and I went crush him. I heard him when I hit him, I heard him -- he felt it."

NW SportsFan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by NW SportsFan »

With only 12 more days until the Florida game, aren't any of you worried about WHO will start that game?
I'm NOT trying to create anything BUT the fact that NONE of the QB's have "taken the reigns" would certainly worry the S&^%$#^it out of me. The fact that Coach Mac has not announced his starter makes me believe that all of them are.........equally bad or just average. And with UH's inexperienced O line.......that ='s a huge problem. You're not talking Idaho or Utep. Your talking an SEC power on the road.
This should not look good for UH. If I'm reading what I've been reading on your practice reports, I'd be damned worried.
If I'm a Warrior fan, I would prepare for the absolute worse case scenerio.......and give the 34.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

goBows15 wrote:Great reports guys! Thanks for the info.

Anybody agree with the Bowstock report that there may be a QB controversy? How many days like today where Rausch struggles and Alexander dominates would it take for GA to be the starter?
I think Mack needs to stay w/ Brent and show that he has confidence in him. When a coach has confidence in you running the team, it does wonders for you. I think Brent will learn from his struggles and it'll help him in game situations. It is good to know that we have capable backups in Greg and Inoke and if Brent does struggle in a game, the backups can come in and get the job done.

Poopsnorkeler
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Poopsnorkeler »

NW SportsFan wrote:With only 12 more days until the Florida game, aren't any of you worried about WHO will start that game?
I'm NOT trying to create anything BUT the fact that NONE of the QB's have "taken the reigns" would certainly worry the S&^%$#^it out of me. The fact that Coach Mac has not announced his starter makes me believe that all of them are.........equally bad or just average. And with UH's inexperienced O line.......that ='s a huge problem. You're not talking Idaho or Utep. Your talking an SEC power on the road.
This should not look good for UH. If I'm reading what I've been reading on your practice reports, I'd be damned worried.
If I'm a Warrior fan, I would prepare for the absolute worse case scenerio.......and give the 34.
Coach Mack announced last week that Brent Rausch is officially the starting QB. And it's been plastered ALL OVER this board. Topic posts say it right there. Where have you been?

And Florida has more to lose in the swamp than we do. Everyone has us pegged to lose big so even if we do I doubt it'd turn any heads. But if we put up a good fight (and we will!) or better yet pull off the upset I'd say that would jump us right into the top 25 easy. Florida would probably drop out of the top 25.

Give the 34? You're fricken crazy. Taking the 34 is the easiest bet EVER!

goBows15
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by goBows15 »

If we beat Florida by 30 they wouldn't fall out of the top 25.
"I saw the fullback, he's looking directly at me," Soares said. "I knew he was coming my way, so I already knew. I went with all my power and all my might and I went crush him. I heard him when I hit him, I heard him -- he felt it."