September 8th Chat with Jim Donovan (Live Thread)

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

September 8th Chat with Jim Donovan (Live Thread)

Post by Scott »

Aloha and welcome back Jim, this will be the live thread for todays monthly chat with Jim Donovan. The thread will be unlocked at 10:00 AM then you can ask questions to the main man himself JD. Like usual today's session will be from 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM and if time permits we will post questions from those who could not make todays live chat.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

BigWave96744

Re: September 8th Chat with Jim Donovan (Live Thread)

Post by BigWave96744 »

Good morning Jim and SportsHawaii Ohana...
Folks, you may begin asking questions..

Mav
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mav »

Morning Jim and Scott,

My question concerns the Oceanic Cable agreement with net users.

I am one of many that live in rural areas here in Hawaii where cable is NOT offered, and no plans in the future.

I have been using the Hawaiian Tel internet streaming the past two seasons to catch all the UH games in the fall season through the DSL service.

Basically, I see two reasons for net use. One is not being able to afford PPV for the games, and the other is not being able to access PPV.

I belong to the group of fans for the first reason stated.

Seems Oceanic Cables decision to not offer the net streaming to fans, if you dont subscribe to their service, was unjustifiable from the fans point of view. I though UH's intention was to broaden the horizons of fan base-ship, not just nationwide and international, but also island wide.

The cut out a good portion of the market with the fans that want to watch through the computers.

Do you have any input to this reasoning? Plus, a pakage deal would of been considerate towards the customer also.
FYI- I watched the entire season of Boise home games on their Broncovision net service. Only $ 10 for all home games that were not picked up by ESPN, and was hassle free with no glitches. That was sure easy, and last season with HawaiianTel was the same. Seems were back to square one with netship woes.

Sure hope this agreement is short term, or they come to a new solution to offer net streaming for Hawaii customers that use other means of service.

Mahalo for your time. Always looking forward to this chat session.

Aloha, Maverick
GO WARRIORS!
Last edited by Mav on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Jim,
Does the University have anything in store for the UH Alum who returned from Beijing with Olympic Medals???

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

First of all, thank you for your candor and honest approach that you've taken on as AD for the University of Hawaii on this media forum. :D I really
appreciate your answers and "forward" thinking approach on these issues for the fans and community. My question is when will the University of Hawaii
move forward with ALL of the sports programs as "pupukahi'i holomua" as in WARRIOR NATION? The ambiguous labeling of some programs being "rainbows",
"rainbow warriors' or "Men of war" does a poor job of team unity for our community and State university. By the way, I am an alumni, and I'm proud to be
one..... :hello1: :hello1:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

Aloha! Sorry I'm a few minutes late. Just finished up a meeting. I'll start getting at your questions right away....

isleboy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Pre Game Saturday Nite...

Post by isleboy »

Jim....What happened to the player introductions?....That has been a TRADITION of Hawaii football that goes back at least 35 years....In fact can remember you getting introduced....Showing my age....lol.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Aloha Jim, once again thank you for spending time with the Sports Hawaii Ohana.

My question is: The sales of Warrior gear (apparel, clocks, gizmos, etc) must be at an all time high. How difficult is it to get UH licensing and does UH have strict policies (have to get each product approved by UH) after you attain the licensing. I've been to stores in the mainland and you can get almost anything with their school logo on it. Hawaii still seems to have a limited amount of options. Thank you!

Mahalo,
Scott

aka "Admin Man"

Mahalo,
Scott

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

Mav wrote:Morning Jim and Scott,

My question concerns the Oceanic Cable agreement with net users.

I am one of many that live in rural areas here in Hawaii where cable is NOT offered, and no plans in the future.

I have been using the Hawaiian Tel internet streaming the past two seasons to catch all the UH games in the fall season through the DSL service.

Basically, I see two reasons for net use. One is not being able to afford PPV for the games, and the other is not being able to access PPV.

I belong to the group of fans for the first reason stated.

Seems Oceanic Cables decision to not offer the net streaming to fans, if you dont subscribe to their service, was unjustifiable from the fans point of view. I though UH's intention was to broaden the horizons of fan base-ship, not just nationwide and international, but also island wide.

The cut out a good portion of the market with the fans that want to watch through the computers.

Do you have any input to this reasoning? Plus, a pakage deal would of been considerate towards the customer also.
FYI- I watched the entire season of Boise home games on their Broncovision net service. Only $ 10 for all home games that were not picked up by ESPN, and was hassle free with no glitches. That was sure easy, and last season with HawaiianTel was the same. Seems were back to square one with netship woes.

Sure hope this agreement is short term, or they come to a new solution to offer net streaming for Hawaii customers that use other means of service.

Mahalo for your time. Always looking forward to this chat session.

Aloha, Maverick
GO WARRIORS!
-------------------------------------------

Maverick -

First of all, thanks for your question and feedback... The primary purpose for the Oceanic Time Warner Cable and K5 television contract was to provide Pay-Per-View (PPV) and delayed broadcast television. Internet streaming, IPTV, and other types of broadcasting are new technological areas that we are working to improve. From an economic standpoint, the PPV and delayed broadcast generate 99%+ of the net revenue we receive.

Currently, our operating budget for this year is $29.5 million and unfortunately, we are still projecting a budget deficit of $1.8 million this year (which we cannot continue indefinitely because of the state and nation's economic situation...) PPV and delayed broadcast TV provide us with approximately $2.5 million towards our annual budget needs. Currently, the portion of net revenue coming from other technological sources, including internet streaming and IPTV, is less than $50,000 a year. As these other forms of technology continue to raise more net revenue for our program, which is likely to happen over time, we will continue to invest more resources and effort into these options. In the meantime, it's really an economic decision for us on which types of technology can be leveraged and utilized.

In regards to Hawaiian Telcom streaming and the change to Oceanic streaming this year, I can't say much but I can tell you that Hawaiian Telcom was given the opportunity to do it this year, but I guess did not think the pricing (to them) was in their best interest. Hence, Oceanic Time Warner Cable has created the current product.

Lastly, internet streaming and IPTV were never meant to be an economic option for Hawaii-based fans who could purchase PPV. It is a product geared towards fans outside of Hawaii who would like to view our games. I appreciate your feedback and hopefully your continued support of UH Athletics!

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

BigWave96744 wrote:Jim,
Does the University have anything in store for the UH Alum who returned from Beijing with Olympic Medals???
---------------------------------------------

BigWave 96744 -

At our first Sunday match of Wahine Volleyball (the Hawaiian Airlines Classic Tournament), we did invite former UH Olympians to attend and be recognized. It was difficult to schedule a time when all Olympians could attend. However, Bryan Clay, Robyn Ah Mow-Santos and Clarissa Chun did attend that Sunday's event that we sponsored. Certainly, we would gladly recognize any other former UH player that was an Olympian attending one of our events.

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote:First of all, thank you for your candor and honest approach that you've taken on as AD for the University of Hawaii on this media forum. :D I really
appreciate your answers and "forward" thinking approach on these issues for the fans and community. My question is when will the University of Hawaii
move forward with ALL of the sports programs as "pupukahi'i holomua" as in WARRIOR NATION? The ambiguous labeling of some programs being "rainbows",
"rainbow warriors' or "Men of war" does a poor job of team unity for our community and State university. By the way, I am an alumni, and I'm proud to be
one..... :hello1: :hello1:
-------------------------------------

Mr. Edge808 -

Certainly branding, or should I say consistent branding, is a long-term important issue for us. Having been on the job for 5 months, I recognize this is one of the issues that will need to be dealt with but as I prioritize all the issues we are facing, this one probably won't happen until my second or third year on the job (and since it's been this way at least since the 1999-2000 school year, I figure a few more months may be inevitable). As I formulate a plan in my mind for this issue, I'm hopeful to get feedback from our many constituencies and stakeholders as to where our long-term brand position should be. Sorry I can't be more definitive at this time, but right now I'm dealing with several other issues that have higher priority and a bigger impact economically and performance-wise in the short-term. Thanks for your support and observations.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Scott posting for: Craighoops
RESURFACING COOKE FIELD
Aloha Jim, and Congrats again on being named our new AD at UH. I think you're doing a great job so far. Thanks again.

*Jim, what are we going to DO with Dennis Sadowski, Co-Ha Builders and the Resurfacing of Cooke Field being DELAYED AGAIN!! He lost out fair and square in the bidding process, but filed a grievance because he said additional licensing was needed. As you know he's also on the State Contractor's Licensing Board, and also has a Field Turf Installation Business...which to me is an OBVIOUS CONFLICT OF INTEREST.

He pushed through a "recommendation" that additional licensing was needed, but the Exec. Officer of the Board said IT WAS JUST A RECOMMENDATION, and NOT a Requirement. How much CLEARER can it be??

Jim, you are using STATE TAX PAYER DOLLARS via the amount allocated to you from the Senate for Improvements at the UHAD. This DELAY is NOT ACCEPTABLE, and as State Tax Payers I feel we have a right to COMPLAIN about it to you and to ask you to PLEASE FIX THIS SILLY SITUATION asap, sir!! It's an OBVIOUS Greed play by Sadowski and Co-Ha Builders. DENY his complaint and LETS GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD, Jim!!!! Please. Just take care of the People's Business, and help REGAIN THE TRUST of the State of Hawaii in how the UH handles it's affairs. Very LITTLE confidence in that right now..but sir YOU CAN HELP CHANGE THAT.

Mahalo sir, God bless and Aloha for TAKING CARE of this matter. Our Boys will NEED that field, and that's THIS season esp. once the Rains come in mid. November. Cooke Field is a EMBARASSMENT and a Abomination, and every day it sits that way is an AUWE to all in charge. Thank you for Taking CARE of this matter asap, Jim. Aloha and Mahalo!

Mahalo,
Scott

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Re: Pre Game Saturday Nite...

Post by Jim Donovan »

isleboy wrote:Jim....What happened to the player introductions?....That has been a TRADITION of Hawaii football that goes back at least 35 years....In fact can remember you getting introduced....Showing my age....lol.
--------------------------

Isleboy -

The format for last Saturday night's game was inspired at Coach McMackin's direction. Any time change is made, some people will like it, some people won't like it and some people don't care.... Getting to know Coach McMackin as well as I have over the past few months, I'm sure he'll continue to improve and evolve the pre-game format. As a matter of fact, since your memory is so good (remembering me being introduced), you'll recall that not every game were the players introduced.... It may have seemed like that, but I clearly recall my first game in 1981 we all ran out from the locker room onto the field and there were no player introductions that game (and if memory serves me correctly, my last year we didn't have player introductions for the first game). That said, I will certainly mention your thoughts and feedback to Coach McMackin and our marketing staff. Thanks for your support and feedback!

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Scott Posting For: Luke96792
Luke96792 wrote:
From the Aug Chat:
Are their any plans in place of creating lower campus to look more "eye appealing" and "fan friendly" for the average fan and for visitors especially in walk ways leading up to the facilities? It seems to be very bland, and I would hope we could spruce those up with potential landscaping, light fixtures, beautiful new walkway paths that will stand out and look very appealing for the typical "fan" and make lower campus look more "inviting" as well.

I know it takes money of course, but are their renderings or visions that fans could take a peek at to see what the officials envision for lower campus? Because like I mentioned earlier, if you give fans an idea of what "could" happen, it will in turn encourage folks to give to the athletic program. So it works hand-in-hand.

Mahalo,
Scott

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

Scott wrote:Aloha Jim, once again thank you for spending time with the Sports Hawaii Ohana.

My question is: The sales of Warrior gear (apparel, clocks, gizmos, etc) must be at an all time high. How difficult is it to get UH licensing and does UH have strict policies (have to get each product approved by UH) after you attain the licensing. I've been to stores in the mainland and you can get almost anything with their school logo on it. Hawaii still seems to have a limited amount of options. Thank you!

Mahalo,
Scott

aka "Admin Man"
------------------------------

Scott -

I don't want to go into too much detail and possibly give you incorrect information, so let me start by stating the UH Licensing Administrator is Ms. Debbie Kutara and she can be reached at 956-2114. That said, it is typically not difficult to get a license to manufacture or produce UH merchandising and it is true that each item must be approved by the University prior to production for sale. Anyone interested in selling UH licensed merchandise should contact Debbie for more information. Thank you for your interest and support!